We need volunteers every year to help make PAWCon possible, and everything starts either at this page, or our monthly public meetings. We cannot understate how important our volunteers are, so if you want to to help us out, we likely have something for you. There are multiple areas where we always need volunteers:
Convention Operations (Con Ops)
Events & Panels
Editorial (Website & Con Book)
A/V & Stage
Loading-in / Loading-out
Public Safety is in charge of ensuring that everyone at the convention has a great time in a comfortable, consensual, and safe environment. This is accomplished by having Public Safety Volunteers walking around the convention area. These volunteers are not expected to put themselves in harm’s way, but they are expected to report anything concerning or problematic to the Head of Public Safety whom then will make a judgement call on what to do. In most cases, the Head of Public Safety will be dealing with hostile or irate members of the public. To reiterate, you are not expected to put yourself in harm’s way nor subdue other people in this role: That is the job of Hotel Security and the Police should such an event come to pass. You are the eyes and ears of the convention, and your presence helps convention attendees feel safe.
—Loading-in / Loading-out—
This phase and ends on both the day before, and the last day of the convention. Volunteers are counted as having worked two hours for each hour worked during Loading-in and Loading-out. We all want to finish these two stages as quickly as possible, so we can relax before or after the convention, move on to other obligations or responsibilities, or do whatever it is we want to do, and as a result, we can use all of the volunteers we can get.
Loading-in happens before the convention even begins. This is where we build the barriers that partition off parts of our convention space and provide security to our Artists and Vendors. The stages, lights, headless lounges, registration areas, and everything else that the convention puts together is constructed during this phase. Loading-out happens on the last day of the convention after the Dead Dog Dance has ended. This is the reverse of Loading-out, but it is just as labor intensive.
Earn a FREE MEMBERSHIP for the following year!
(Please read Volunteer and Staffing Policies below)
Volunteer and Staffing Policies
- Normal registration fees apply for the initial year.
- Members must complete a minimum of 8 hours during the con to be eligible for free membership in the following year.
- Staff are designated by being leads, supervisors and by taking active part in staff planning. All other positions will be considered volunteer.
- All members MUST sign in & sign out each shift at Con Ops. Failure to do so will result in forfeiture of those hours worked.
- Hours worked for loading-in or loading-out count as double time (i.e. 2 hours worked = 4 hours).
- Free membership is valid for a regular attendance level in the following year.